- Expanding the genetic code using cell-free protein synthesis platforms
- Developing a platform for antimicrobial peptide-based drug discovery
- Engineering biofilms for the treatment of infectious diseases and cancer
- Poster presentation award, Second place, Northwestern University Postdoctoral Forum Symposium (2013)
- The Interdepartmental Biological Sciences (IBiS) Postdoctoral Travel Award, Northwestern University (2013)
- The Paul and Ellen Deisler Fellowship, Texas A&M University (2010)
- Student Travel Grant at American Society for Microbiology 110th General Meeting (2010)
- Outstanding Poster at American Society for Microbiology 110th General Meeting (2010)
- Korean Government Scholarship, National Institute for International Education, Korea (2007 ~ 2009)
- Olympiad for Environmental Scientists and Engineers, Third place, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Korea (2004)
- Seoam Scholarship, Seoam Scholarship Foundation, Korea (1995 ~ 2004)
Hong SH, Kwon YC, Martin RW, Des Soye BJ, de Paz A, Swonger KN, Jewett MC. Genome engineering of Escherichia coli enhances site-specific incorporation of non-standard amino acids in cell-free protein synthesis. (Manuscript under review).
Amiram M, Haimovich AD, Fan C, Wang Y-S, Aerni H-R, Moonan DW, Ma NJ, Rovner AJ, Hong SH, Jewett MC, Rinehart J, Söll D, Isaacs FJ (2014). Continuous evolution of translation components in recoded organisms enables multi-site nonstandard amino acid incorporation in proteins at high yield and purity. (Manuscript under review).
Hong SH, Kwon YC, Jewett MC (2014). Non-standard amino acid incorporation into proteins using Escherichia coli cell-free protein synthesis. Front Chem 2: 34.
Hong SH, Ntai I, Haimovich AD, Kelleher NL, Isaacs FJ, Jewett MC (2014). Cell-free protein synthesis from a release factor 1 deficient Escherichia coli strain activates efficient and multiple site-specific nonstandard amino acid incorporation. ACS Synth Biol 3: 398-409.
Wang X, Lord DM, Hong SH, Peti W, Benedik MJ, Page R, Wood TK (2013). Type II toxin/antitoxin MqsR/MqsA controls type V toxin/antitoxin GhoT/GhoS. Environ Microbiol 15: 1734-1744.
Wang X, Lord DM, Cheng H-Y, Osbourne DO, Hong SH, Sanchez-Torres V, Quiroga C, Zheng K, Herrmann T, Peti W, Benedik MJ, Page R, Wood TK (2012). A new type V toxin-antitoxin system where mRNA for toxin GhoT is cleaved by antitoxin GhoS. Nature Chem Biol 8: 855-861. (Highlighted by Nature Chemical Biology and Faculty 1000 Prime).
Hong SH, Wang X, O’Connor HF, Benedik MJ, Wood TK (2012). Bacterial persistence increases as environmental fitness decreases. Microb Biotechnol 5: 509-522. (Top downloaded article in Microbial Biotechnology).
Hong SH, Hegde M, Kim J, Wang X, Jayaraman A, Wood TK (2012). Synthetic quorum-sensing circuit to control consortial biofilm formation and dispersal in a microfluidic device. Nature Commun 3:613. (Highlighted by Nature Biotechnology).
Wang X, Kim Y, Hong SH, Ma Q, Brown BL, Pu M, Tarone AM, Benedik MJ, Peti W, Page R, Wood TK (2011). Antitoxin MqsA helps mediate the bacterial general stress response. Nature Chem Biol 7: 359-366. (Featured by NIH NIGMS and highlighted by Nature Chemical Biology).
Shim S, Hong SH, Tak Y, Yoon J (2011). Prevention of Pseudomonas aeruginosa adhesion by electric currents. Biofouling 27: 217-224.
Wood TK, Hong SH, Ma Q (2011). Engineering biofilm formation and dispersal. Trends Biotechnol 29: 87-94.
Wang X, Kim Y, Ma Q, Hong SH, Pokusaeva K, Sturino JM, and Wood TK (2010) Cryptic prophages help bacteria cope with adverse environments. Nature Commun 1:147. (Featured by NIH NIGMS).
Hong SH, Lee J, Wood TK (2010). Engineering global regulator Hha of Escherichia coli to control biofilm dispersal. Microb Biotechnol 3: 717-728.
Hong SH, Wang X, Wood TK (2010). Controlling biofilm formation, prophage excision, and cell death by rewiring global regulator H-NS of Escherichia coli. Microb Biotechnol 3: 344-356. (Highlighted by Microbial Biotechnology).
Lee J, Maeda T, Hong SH, Wood TK (2009). Reconfiguring the quorum-sensing regulator SdiA of Escherichia coli to control biofilm formation via indole and N-acylhomoserine lactones. Appl Environ Microbiol 75: 1703-1716.
Hong SH, Jeong J, Shim S, Kang H, Kwon S, Ahn KH, Yoon J (2008). Effect of electric currents on bacterial detachment and inactivation. Biotechnol Bioeng 100: 379-386. (Journal Cover of June 2008 issue in Biotechnology and Bioengineering).